HomeWorld NewsPelé's family gathers at the Sao Paulo hospital

Pelé’s family gathers at the Sao Paulo hospital

Date:

Related stories

Transforming Liberia Begins in Nimba County: A Call for Sovereign Rebirth

By: Rev. Torli H. Krua, contributing writer Liberia stands...

Riding the Bus This Summer in OC

Residents riding the bus this summer could see...

These Pets at OC Animal Care Are Looking for a Home

Dilora Dilora has been at OC Animal Care in...

Hogan: Truth To Power

I am writing this OP/Ed for Ashley Foster, ...

Liberia: Adoption Home Shut Down as Arrest Warrant Issued for Staff Over Child Abuse Charges

PAYNESVILLE, Montserrado —A local adoption agency with partners...
spot_imgspot_img

SAO PAULO (AP) — Relatives of Brazilian soccer great Pelé gather at the Albert Einstein hospital in Sao Paulo, where the 82-year-old world icon has been since late November.

Doctors said earlier this week that Pele’s cancer had advanced, adding that the three-time World Cup winner is under “elevated care” related to “kidney and heart dysfunctions.” No other statements from the hospital have been released since then.

Edson Cholbi Nascimento, one of Pele’s sons and known as Edinho, arrived on Saturday after he gave a news conference to deny visiting his father in hospital. Edinho, who works for a soccer club in southern Brazil, had said then that only doctors could help his father.

“He (Edson) is here,” Kely Nascimento, one of Pelé’s daughters, said in an Instagram post with a photo showing her sitting with Edinho and two of their children at the hospital. “I’m not leaving, no one is going to get me out of here.”

Edson Arantes do Nascimento, known worldwide as Pelé, had a colon tumor removed in September 2021. Neither his family nor the hospital have said whether it had spread to other organs.

Kely Nascimento and her sister Flavia Arantes do Nascimento used their social media channels late Friday to post an undated photo of Pele apparently holding Kely with one hand as he lay in his hospital bed and Flavia slept on a sofa.

“We are still here, in this fight and with faith. Another night together”, wrote Kely Nascimento.

The hospital has not mentioned any symptoms of Pelé’s recent respiratory infection, which was aggravated by COVID-19.

The Folha de S.Paulo newspaper reported last weekend that Pelé’s chemotherapy was not working and that doctors had decided to put him in palliative care. Pele’s family denied that report.

Pelé led Brazil to victory at the 1958, 1962 and 1970 World Cups and remains one of the team’s all-time top scorers with 77 goals. Neymar tied Pelé’s record during the last World Cup.

___

More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/hub/soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports

Subscribe

- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from up to 5 devices at once

Latest stories

spot_img

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here