Two young children died in a mobile home fire in western Indiana, authorities say.
Three-year-old Athena Holdbrook and three-month-old Aries Romine died in the fire Wednesday night in Northview Country Estates on the outskirts of Brazil, Clay County Coroner Nick French said.
Both children died from smoke inhalation, French said. They were pronounced dead at the scene.
INDIANA HIGH SCHOOL STUDENT SHOOTS WHEN OFFICER’S GUN ACCIDENTALLY DISCHARGES IN CLASSROOM
The fire was reported around 8:30 p.m.
“There are still so many unanswered questions and conflicting stories, we still can’t say anything about a cause,” said Posey Township Fire Chief Cody Barnard.
Neighbor Michael Roberts Muhammad said he was with the family in the afternoon and ran to the house when he heard screaming.
INDIANA HOUSE EXPLOSION INJURIES 3, TRACED TO GAS LEAK
“I tried to get in through the front door, but the heat was overwhelming and the smoke was overwhelming. It was like I was being pushed outside. I tried to get back in twice, but I couldn’t get in. I couldn’t do anything but kneel down and pray Muhammad said.
“It was horrible to see,” added neighbor Leeann Chandler, “knowing they were still there and there was nothing we could do.”
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Barnard, the State Fire Marshal’s Office and the Clay County Sheriff’s Office are investigating.
Brazil is about 55 miles southwest of Indianapolis.