HomeWorld NewsGerman victims of fatal train attack identified as 2 teenagers

German victims of fatal train attack identified as 2 teenagers

Date:

Related stories

Transforming Liberia Begins in Nimba County: A Call for Sovereign Rebirth

By: Rev. Torli H. Krua, contributing writer Liberia stands...

Riding the Bus This Summer in OC

Residents riding the bus this summer could see...

These Pets at OC Animal Care Are Looking for a Home

Dilora Dilora has been at OC Animal Care in...

Hogan: Truth To Power

I am writing this OP/Ed for Ashley Foster, ...

Liberia: Adoption Home Shut Down as Arrest Warrant Issued for Staff Over Child Abuse Charges

PAYNESVILLE, Montserrado —A local adoption agency with partners...
spot_imgspot_img

A 33-year-old man arrested on suspicion of fatally stabbing two teenagers and wounding five other passengers on a train in northern Germany had been released from pretrial detention a week ago and had previous criminal convictions, investigation officials said Thursday. .

The man, identified as Ibrahim A., a stateless Palestinian who arrived in Germany in 2014, allegedly stabbed several people to death on Wednesday afternoon on a regional train traveling from Kiel to Hamburg. A 17-year-old girl and a 19-year-old man died from their injuries, authorities said.

Two victims were still in life-threatening condition and two others were seriously injured. One person was slightly injured, police said.

Other passengers overwhelmed the suspect, who was treated at a hospital for minor injuries and is in police custody, local police said at a news conference in Kiel.

GERMAN DEFENDANT SAYS HELLS ANGELS LEFT MALLORCA IN 2011

Police and prosecutors said the suspect’s criminal record included convictions for another stabbing incident, sexual assault, grievous bodily harm and shoplifting. Germany’s dpa news agency said he had been in pretrial detention for a year for another knife crime in Hamburg, before being released a week ago.

Before being searched in Kiel, the suspect also lived in Hamburg and in the western state of North Rhine-Westphalia.

Police and prosecutors were investigating possible motives for the attack, which occurred as the train was approaching the town of Brokstedt.

Deutsche Bahn security guards stand on the platform of the Brokstedt station at sunrise in Brokstedt, Germany, on January 26, 2023.

Deutsche Bahn security guards stand on the platform of the Brokstedt station at sunrise in Brokstedt, Germany, on January 26, 2023.

Several media outlets reported that the attacker chased the passengers through different train cars and that traces of blood could be found in four of them. Some passengers tried to defend themselves by throwing their suitcases at him, German news channel n-tv reported.

Sabine Suetterlin-Waack, interior minister for the state of Schleswig-Holstein, where Brokstedt is based, said the parents of the two teenage victims had been informed of their deaths. Not all of the other injured victims had been identified as of noon Thursday, she said.

“Due to the very dynamic course of the crime, much is not clear,” the minister said. The results of an interrogation of the alleged perpetrator did not yet exist, so investigators cannot yet say anything about the motive.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

She said investigators were working under a lot of pressure to “get all the facts together.”

The state parliament began its session on Thursday with a minute’s silence for the victims of the attack.

Subscribe

- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from up to 5 devices at once

Latest stories

spot_img

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here