#StandUpSA and other organizations march to Megawatt Park against load disconnection at Eskom MegaWatt Park on February 2, 2023 in Johannesburg, South Africa. (Photo by Gallo Images/OJ Koloti)
- A few hundred people marched to Eskom’s Megawatt Park on Thursday.
- Organizers called the protest a “call to action.”
- Starting in April, an increase of 18.65% will come into force.
Angry residents and members of civil society organizations marched to Eskom’s headquarters, Megawatt Park, in Sunninghill on Thursday to protest against the load disconnection and electricity tariff increase of 18%, which will take effect from April.
News24 previously reported that the SA National Energy Regulator has awarded Eskom one of its biggest raises, 18.65%, for the 2022/2023 fiscal year.
#NotInMyName and StandUp SA led the march.
NotInMyName General Secretary Themba Masango told News24 that a memo was handed over to Eskom.
Organization leaders say the protest is a “call to action.”
The organizers believe that given the state of the nation at the moment, the South African government is not taking its citizens seriously.
READ | Cargo disconnect: ‘We will give Eskom all the help he needs,’ says Ramaphosa delivery czar
Masango said that the protest was a continuation of the action that took place on January 20, 2023 in Pretoria.
He said the main purpose of the protest was “to record the discontent that Eskom is giving to the citizens.”
“We cannot be charged for full electricity when we experience power outages,” Masango said.
The protest took place, despite the rain.
A spokesman for the Johannesburg Metropolitan Police Department, Xolani Fihla, said they expected a maximum of 300 participants but estimated there were around 250 people.
Masango said that if Eskom did not heed his call for solutions and sustainable plans within 30 days, there would be another protest.
Eskom spokesman Sikonathi Mantshantsha was unable to comment because he was not present at the protest, while general manager Andrew Etzinger also had no comment.