China also launched a similar campaign last year.
China has launched a cleanup campaign to remove “vulgar” and “unhealthy” content from the Internet. The month-long campaign launched just before the Lunar New Year, which began on January 22, according to South China Post Morning (SCMP). The country’s Internet watchdog is particularly targeting content that includes ex-criminals posting material about their prison experience and scantily clad women posing in various locations, the outlet also said. China’s cyberspace administration issued a directive on the matter on January 18.
The crackdown is aimed at “reducing the spread of bad culture, protecting the rights and benefits of online users, cleaning up the online ecology, and creating a positive, civilized and healthy climate in public opinion,” said the SCMP report.
The country’s Internet censors are scanning key websites’ homepages, hot topics search list, recommendations and user comment sections to control the spread of information during the New Year holiday season. .
While the ex-convicts were accused of “misleading” the public, authorities say influential women have been wearing “revealing” clothing in an attempt to gain a following, according to the SCMP report.
The women have been accused of creating an “indecent image” by appearing “sexy” in a context such as hotels, scenic spots and farmland, cybersecurity officials were quoted as saying by the outlet.
People who flaunt their wealth, overeat and drink to excess are also in the crosshairs of the authorities.
China had also launched a similar “purification” exercise last year to monitor the online activities of its Internet users, which it says SCMPnumber more than 1 billion.
Last year’s crackdown led to the downfall of several celebrities after authorities attacked cyberspace and the entertainment sector.
Featured video of the day
We Heart Shraddha-Ranbir Trailer Released In Tu Jhoothi Main Makkaar