Mason Greenwood. (Photo by Sebastian Frej/MB Media/Getty Images)
Charges including attempted rape and assault against Manchester United striker Mason Greenwood have been dropped by prosecutors, British police said on Wednesday.
The Crown Prosecution Service said the withdrawal of key witnesses and new material coming to light were factors in its decision to stop the case against the 21-year-old.
Greater Manchester police said it was “fair” for them to announce that Greenwood, who was arrested in January last year, would no longer face criminal prosecution “given the significant media coverage of this case.”
The Manchester United striker originally faced one count of attempted rape, one count of controlling and coercive behavior and one count of assault causing actual bodily harm, all against the same complainant.
A product of the club’s academy, and once considered one of the brightest prospects in English football, Greenwood signed a new contract at United in February 2021 that runs until at least 2025.
Greenwood made his England debut against Iceland in September 2020, but he and Manchester City midfielder Phil Foden were sent home after breaching the team’s coronavirus guidelines.
Nike suspended and later terminated its endorsement deal with the player, while Electronic Arts confirmed its removal from active teams in its FIFA 22 game.
We live in a world where fact and fiction blur.
In uncertain times, you need journalism you can trust. For 14 free days, you can have access to a world of in-depth analysis, investigative journalism, featured opinions, and a variety of features. Journalism strengthens democracy. Invest in the future today. Thereafter, you will be billed R75 per month. You can cancel at any time and if you cancel within 14 days, you will not be billed.